Can you imagine a family holiday without your kids? So why not take your pet with you on holiday?
Dog travel has now become possible, and this checklist will help you have a great vacation.
Before embarking on your first dog travel, you need to pay attention to certain points:
- Pack enough food required for your pet for the whole vacation. If your holiday only lasts for a few days, keep the food handy(with a few extra scoops). If it is an extended vacation, make sure there is a local pet store that has your pet’s brand of food.
- Potable water and food dishes are a must for your dog travel.
- In case you are travelling by road, keep your dog bed in the backseat.
- In case you have the option to tie your dog’s crate to the top of the car; you can do as well.
- Have a toy for your pet that will keep your pet entertained during the trip.
- Pack some treats and keep leash, collars and harness wherever it needs to be used.
- Don’t forget to pack your dog’s medication or supplements if any.
Additional points to note:
- Before booking your accommodation, check whether the hotel is pet-friendly or if your hosts are comfortable with a pet staying over.
- Don’t stress too much about your dog’s stay; if you are travel-friendly, then your pet will be too as they react according to our emotions.
- Know your dog’s boundaries, like what gets them hyperactive or defensive and try your best in avoiding those situations.
- If you are travelling by car, plan and research your stop and meal times.
That being said, it is also important to know whether the climate of your holiday destination is suitable for your pet. Here are some ideas that help in making your dog a great car travel companion.
Start training your pet as soon as you acquire him/her as a puppy to love car travel. Begin first with the engine running and then slowly moving the car along. This will help you ease the nervousness of your pet and get them accustomed.
Back of the car:
Dogs are a creature of habit, so set a place for your pet at the back of the vehicle. Place the dog bed comfortably in the backseat and place a toy. This will help in creating a familiarity with your pooch. Consequently, your dog travel becomes an easy task.
Tire your pet:
Before you embark on a car journey with your pet, make sure to tire them out. A tired dog will make a far better passenger than an active one. Ensure that you exercise your dog well and complete his bowel routine. This will pay off in the long run as your dog will be far more willing to rest than jump around in the vehicle.
Dog or owner, it is crucial that you are safe all around. Wrap a safety harness around your pet so that they are well-protected. This harness will work just like seatbelts for your pet and keep them restrained when they try to stick their heads out. Nevertheless, you should introduce this harness to your dog well before the journey and make them comfortable with it.
Next, we come to the odour part of the journey; having your pet and kids with you in the car will lead to many accidents. These accidents tend to stink over time, so be prepared to combat them as well.
Our solution to a happy dog travel:
Use our pet-friendly Odo-Rite pet freshener to drive away those pesky smells. Odo-Rite home freshener will help in eliminating the odours of spilt food, drinks, and so on.
Point to note! Whenever you use fresheners, make sure that your pet and children are away from the area.
Call us @ 73387 46646 to know more about Odo-rite and its benefits.