Dogs and Cats sleeping in your bed?
Do you allow your pet to share your bed?
Does your pet disrupt your sleep time if not allowed in the bedroom?
Are you unable to decide whether sharing your bed with your bed is a good or bad practice?
Well, as they say, every coin has two sides. So here we are listing the pros and cons of sharing your bed with your pet.
Pros when you allow your pet to share your bed:
Having a dog in bed aids in the release of Oxytocin. Oxytocin is a hormone that promotes a feeling of love and well-being. Sharing your bed might even help you sleep better and safer.
It also makes you feel safer because dogs are prone to even the smallest of the noises and are quite attentive by nature. People who live alone or have trouble feeling secure at night will feel safer with the dog present in the bedroom.
Adopted dogs or dogs coming from a traumatic background will bond better with their new owners when they share your bed.
As dogs have a higher body temperature than humans, they also double up as the perfect snuggle cushions.
Cons when you allow your pet to share your bed:
- Sharing your bed with your pet can aggravate allergies and induce attacks of asthma.
- If the dog has problems with aggression, dominance, territory marking and separation anxiety, then sleeping in the bed is a terrible idea. For example, if your dog has issues with territory marking, then you will be outside the bedroom and your pet in the bedroom.
- If your dog hogs your attention all the time, then your personal life will suffer its consequences.
- Dirt and bacteria will be a permanent visitor when sharing your bed with your pet. As they run through many things in a day, the traces of it will be stuck on the paws, belly and their tail. He/she will bring that to your bed along with bacteria-laden drool, intestinal parasite eggs or external parasites like fleas and ticks.
- Dogs can also disrupt your sleep through their snoring, moving around and by keeping on tunnelling under the covers.
Ultimately, allowing your dog to sleep in bed is your personal decision based on your individual circumstances and preferences. However, it is essential to pay attention to the following points.
- Train your dog to sleep alone at first. Then bring about the bedroom sleeping arrangements.
- Make sure that you house-train your dog before allowing them bedroom access.
- Regularly check your dog for fleas, ticks and parasites.
If you decide to let pets share your bed, you need extra help to ensure the bedroom is a restful haven. The bed sheets are going to retain dead skins cells, oils, sweat, dog hair and the bacterias associated with them. And this bacteria will leave a ‘dog smell’ on the fabric. Anyone with dogs knows that just washing a fabric isn’t enough to get rid of the dog smell and neither you can toss your whole mattress into the washing machine.
How can Odo-Rite help?
Odo-Rite’s kennel wash liquid is the best solution for removing that stubborn pet urine stench. Odo-Rite is environment-friendly as it contains biodegradable materials that clean out the smell without harming your pet or the fabric. It comes with many advantages, such as :
- Close to neutral ph.
- The Ingredients are safe for people, pets, and the planet.
- It is free of disinfectants and harmful substances that could cause damage to health with repeated exposure.
- It is bio-degradable and non-toxic.
Call us @ 73387 46646 to know more about Odo-rite and its benefits.